Kings Valley Cedar Planked Lemon-Rosemary Chicken
1. Soak Cedar Plank Completely Submersed in Water. For gas grills soak 4-5 hours. For charcoal grill soak 2-3 hours.
2. Marinate Chicken Breasts per directions below in recipe.
3. Pre-heat BBQ. Once pre-heated, you're going to want to cook over a medium fire - 350°F to 450°F. Place soaked plank on grill just long enough to dry the face down surface of the soaked plank and remove. (usually less than a minute). Apply liberal amount of Olive Oil to dried surface of plank. Place marinated Chicken Breasts on Olive Oil side of plank and place assembly on cooking grate at middle of BBQ. For gas BBQ cook on medium flame. For charcoal BBQ set up for direct heat with medium quantity of charcoal.
4. Cover grill and cook for approximately 20 min. Checking for internal temperate of breast meat to be 180°F. Do not turn. Leave undisturbed on plank and try to keep lid closed as much as possible. Flare-ups occur (most likely on gas grill) so keep squirt bottle of water handy just in case!
5. Remove (you are going to love what you see and smell) and cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe (serves four)
Ingredients for Marinade:
1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
1 Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Pepper
2 Sprigs Rosemary, finely chopped
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Course Ground Dijon
Ingredients for the Dish:
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
4 Slices of Lemon
1 Sprig Rosemary, cut into fourths
1 Pacific Northwest Cedar BBQ Plank
Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, rosemary, olive oil, and Dijon to a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts. Toss the chicken and the marinade ingredients into a large sealed plastic bag and shake. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for at least fifteen minutes.
When you are ready to grill, pull the chicken out of the refrigerator and let come to room temperature while you set up BBQ as described in step three above.
Place the marinated chicken on the prepared plank. Put a slice of lemon and a piece of rosemary on each chicken breast. Place assembly on cooking grate of BBQ as described in step three and four. Get ready for some fantastic smoke and great tasting chicken!